Wednesday, December 02, 2009

A lot of questions, a little anxiety, and some hope

We're in another waiting phase, and that can be good and bad for my mind.  It's good to be able to take a breather, to not feel anxious about getting the next document filled out, notarized, appostilled, or sent somewhere ASAP.  But it can be bad as then I have time to think, to formulate questions, to wonder, and ultimately to worry.  I am a worrier; it's in my genes.  I come from a long line of worriers on my mother's side, and it's hard to stop myself sometimes and remember that Jesus said "Do not worry," and "Do not be anxious about anything...."  I mentioned that I have a lot of questions.  It's true, I do.  These are the questions that have been on my mind lately and the ones I posed today to our case worker at CHSFS (our adoption agency):

Have you heard from Los Pisingos lately about Maria? Are they upset that we're not there yet? We would love to have an update on Maria if that's possible. The documents that they sent when we inquired about her in the summer are now over six months old, and we SOOOO want to know how she is doing now. We would also love an updated photo if that's possible as I'm sure she's changed so much over these past six months. Are these possible for them to send to you to give to us? Or are these things that we will receive as part of the "official" referral once they have our translated dossier? If not, what is part of the official referral? How long does translation take? Once they receive our translated dossier, do you think they'll be able to send us the official referral right away since they are waiting for it to come? The referral that they send to us, this is the information that we use to fill out our I800, right? Do you think that we'll be able to submit our I800 to immigration before Christmas? I'm starting to worry about when we'll be able to travel to Colombia. We are so hoping that we'll be able to go by February. Do you think that's possible? 

And now I wait for her response.   And I continue to wonder and feel a bit anxious about when we will go to Colombia.  I've had it in my mind for the past few months that we'd be traveling in January.  It was a logical timeline if everything in the adoption process continued to progress at the average time length.  But what if our translation takes longer than usual?  What if we aren't able to turn in our I800 before Christmas?  Traveling in January also seemed logical because our calendar is clear!  Kevin's busiest time of the year is the spring, with most of his school visits being in February through April.  He usually has at least a half dozen visits in January and May as well.  This year, he has only one event scheduled for all of January and February!  This is highly unusual, and so it's felt to us like God just cleared our calendar!  And He must have cleared it because we'd be in Colombia, right?  That's what we've enjoyed believing.  And I guess that's still a possibility, but what if that doesn't happen?  What if we don't travel until the end of February or beginning of March?  Kevin has to be in Colombia for at least ten days.  Would he be able to reschedule his school visits?  And if we're not in Colombia for January and February, why is our calendar clear?  How do we get by without an income for two months?  How can we afford not to have Kevin home here in Michigan in March when that's when a large percentage of our yearly income comes in? 

Even as I write out these questions though, even though my mind is racing, right now, I surprisingly feel no anxiety in my heart.  That has to be from God.  He knows my thoughts, concerns, and desires.  He loves Maria even more than we ever will, and He is the one who has formed this family.  He will orchestrate all of the details and we will be with Maria just when we are supposed to be.  I just need to keep reminding myself of that!

And now for some more hope: 

Our friends the Vander Maas's got the call last week to book their flights for today because their presentation date is tomorrow, December 3rd!  (The presentation date is the date that Los Pisingos presents your new children to you.)  This is a huge praise to the Lord for this wonderful gift!  He gave them their hearts desire: to be there before Christmas!  We are so elated for them!  Please keep them in your prayers for peace and strength during this very exciting and anxious time!  And then I have a new blogger friend whose husband and she just got word that their presentation date is January 18th!  They are adopting a sibling group of three boys from Los Pisingos, and we are so excited for them too!  Both of these families have been on their current Colombian journey for the past several years.  Praise God that these families will be together soon! 

P.S. We will post photos and an update from our fundraiser very soon!

1 comment:

Bill and Mary said...

Hi Steph!

I love reading about how God gives you comfort and takes your anxiety, even during these times. I can't wait for you to have Maria home with you!!!

~Mary