Thursday, January 14, 2010

A really good day

Yesterday was a really good day.  It started off with taking Carlos to school and then meeting a friend for coffee.  This friend and I only just met in August, yet it feels like we've known each other a very long time.  We are very similar in so many ways, and it's been such a blessing becoming her friend!

As soon as I got home, Kevin's mom was here.  (She works part-time with us now, and it's great!)  Our friend Katie also works with us part-time, and she was here as well.  The three of us got so much done in the office, and really enjoyed each other's company.  (Kevin was out of town visiting schools.)

Just before I left to pick Carlos up for school, I checked my email one last time and there was an email from Kristi VanderMaas.  They went to Los Pisingos and while they were there they were able to see Maria!  She was able to tell Maria that her new mommy, daddy, and big brother are so happy that she's joining their family.  And she gave her many kisses and told her how much we love her.  She asked if she could take photos of Maria and they quickly took her upstairs to get her "cleaned up" and wet her hair.  Here is our precious little one, who just melts my heart:



 

 

A quick update on the adoption process: I filled out the I-800 form last week and it arrived at USCIS last Friday.  It takes about two weeks for approval, then two weeks for the approval to get to Bogota, and during those two weeks we will apply for our visas.  Once we have our visas, we'll be able to travel!  So...it looks like as of right now that we'll be able to leave in the middle of February!  Please continue to pray with us that this last round of paperwork goes quickly and smoothly so that Kevin can be with us in Colombia for two to three weeks before coming home just in time for his March school visits.

For dinner last night I took Carlos to "our" restaurant - Fazoli's.  He and I love to go there together for special Mama and Son times.  We had a wonderful date night - so much fun!  There was hardly anyone in the restaurant so it felt like we had the place to ourselves.  We were there for an hour and a half just eating, talking, laughing, telling stories, playing made-up games - it was great!  Just what I've always hoped for in a Mama and Son night.  :)

It was a really good day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Step, she is just precious!! I can see why you are so in love with her! Congrats!!! Promise to take millions of photos while you are there.

Jessica Perberg said...

What a doll she is! I am so thankful for you in my life Stephanie!

Tanya said...

We have not yet met, but I just wanted to tell you how thrilled I was to see that the VanderMaas family was able to meet your daughter and capture some photos of her! I can only imagine how difficult this wait is for you (we waited less than a week from referral to travel with each adoption - those were the early days!) Hang in there and we look forward to meeting your entire family someday soon!