Thursday, February 11, 2010

Still waiting...but in peace

Many people have been asking us lately how we are doing.  We're actually doing well!  The weekend was tough and Monday was filled with anxiety (Every time the phone rang my heart would leap and would race along with my feet to the phone. And then it would drop along with my face when I saw that it wasn't our agency. It was a constant up and down, up and down of adrenaline.)  Tuesday was better though, and yesterday and today I am filled with complete peace.  (Amazing!)  I have been trying to focus on God, reading devotionals that are specifically geared for tough times, reading His Word, praying, etc., and because of that, I'm allowing Him to do His work in me.  He's been reminding me to be still and know that He is God (Psalm 46:10), and reminding me to wait on Him.   In the devotional book I've been reading the author writes, "I've found that it's best to view these waiting times by thinking of them as times of waiting on the Lord...It's much easier to think about waiting on God than it is to be patient with your circumstances. Waiting on the Lord gives you the sense that something is going on - only you just can't see it.  You are waiting in eager anticipation of what God is going to do next."  That has really helped me frame my thinking over the past few days!  We're not waiting on the U.S. Embassy, we're not waiting on our representative in Colombia, we're waiting on God.  We will arrive in Colombia on His timing.  "Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart." (Psalm 27:14)

This feeling of peace that I have I think is also because I feel like God still has work to do in us before we go.  I never would have thought of that but issues starting coming to the surface for Kevin and I very recently.  Things about the future of our business, communication and connection in our marriage, issues inside of me, etc.  Really God?  Right now?  But if we would have left for Colombia last weekend, these issues in our relationship may have surfaced and it would have been very difficult to have the space and time to work through them while we were there, figuring out how to be a family of four.  It's because we had space and time to breathe and think and talk these past few days that we even became aware of these things, so it's really been a blessing to be able to talk and work through them right now, before leaving.  (We're even going on a date this weekend, which we haven't done in months!  What a gift!)  And then regarding the business, it's also been a blessing to have the time this week to talk through things and work on things so that when we get back we don't have to have these big conversations while my heart isn't in them.  (I'm going to be a non-active part of our business for a while!) 

So we are embracing each day as it comes, and are able to be thankful for this time that we have here at home.  We are still waiting...but in peace.

1 comment:

John and Kristi said...

It's going to happen...very soon!! God is preparing you and your precious daughter in His perfect time...oh how you have been on my heart lately! Keep pressing on...Kristi