Saturday, March 06, 2010

A Sad Day

Kevin left early this morning to go back to Michigan.  Kevin and Carlos were sobbing, I was crying, Mom K was crying, Dad K was sad...we were a mess.  Maria wasn't herself most of the day.  It started with her waking up at ten minutes to six this morning, and then throughout the morning she would just stop and stand there and start crying.  It was so sad.  We think she must have sensed all of our sadness. 

Carlos perked up a bit after breakfast, and even helped me get Maria dressed this morning and he played with her a little.  He did get angry with her later in the morning, and continued his anger with her this afternoon and into the evening.  At dinnertime Carlos said that seeing the other dad's makes him feel sad, and then tonight when he was picking out books for me to read to him before bed he saw a certain book that reminded him of Kevin and he started to cry.  But after kisses and hugs and reassurances that he will see Daddy again, we read three books, and then he was out the instant his head hit the pillow.

Randomly throughout the day I would have to fight off the tears, although I did let some go a few times when I had a few moments to myself.  And then the kicker came when we came back to the hotel at dinnertime.  I went up to our room to drop our bags off and there, on our freshly made bed, was Kevin's yellow shirt, perfectly ironed and folded.  It got me.  This is a shirt that Kevin really wanted to wear while in Colombia.  He had asked me weeks before we left to iron it (It's the only shirt he owns that needs to be ironed before he wears it (besides his dress shirt) because the sleeves bunch up at the end and look flowery if they aren't flattened.)  Anyway, I never made the time to iron it.  Then we packed it and brought it with us to Colombia.  I kept forgetting to iron it during the first week.  And then at the beginning of this week he had the thought to throw it into our diry laundry bag because the staff irons everything before giving it back to us.  We got our laundry back two days ago, but with no yellow shirt.  Yesterday I looked downstairs in the laundry room to see if it got hung up, and I couldn't find it anywhere.  And then last night as I was packing, I forgot about it.  So then I come home this evening and there was the shirt, just as Kevin would have wanted it.

But we'll be okay.  We're sad, and it will be hard at times, but we'll make it.  One day at a time.

Prayer requests:

For me, for strength, peace, patience, and wisdom - you know, not much!

For Carlos, that God would heal his broken heart, and would grow him in His ways during this trial.  Also, that Carlos would not build up any resentment toward Kevin for leaving and for them being separated for so long. 

For Maria, that Kevin's leaving would not cause any problems in their attachment and bonding when we get back home.

For Dad K - he is still sick and slept most of the day, that God would heal him quickly so that he can enjoy the rest of his time here in Colombia.

For Mom K, for continued patience with the rest of us!  She was a great support today, and I pray that she will also enjoy her time here.

For Kevin - it's of course hard for him to leave the rest of us in Colombia, so prayers for comfort and peace as he is providing for our family's needs. 

For good health and safety for all of us!

Thank you!

2 comments:

Erin Martin said...

Hey Steph, I'm really enjoying reading your blog. I'm so glad things are going well overall. The yellow shirt story breaks my heart though:( Hang in there. Maybe one day that story can be kind of funny. I'm so sorry I didn't get a package to you before you left for Colombia. Hopefully, there will be one waiting for you when you get back:)

Unknown said...

Hi Stephanie,

Sounds like a hard day for you! But you have it right, just one day at a time. I know God will hold you each in his hands in a special way through these next few weeks and I pray that you will be able to sense his presence in many ways.

Peace to you,

Sarah Bailey